Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Can You Smell That?

So tonight, we went to the Connection Worship Team Lifeline group at church. Basically, it's everyone in the Connection worship band...Just like it sounds. Anyway, Pastor Dave challenged us...What do you smell like? What aroma are you leaving behind you? It reminded me of when I worked at EGH...sometimes, these older women would come in for interviews, and they seriously put WAY too much perfume on. Sometimes guys would come in and really, it was like they had taken a bath in their cologne. What would then happen was an interesting phenomenon. Basically...my office, along with usually the entire HR office...would smell - LONG after the person was gone. The air took on whatever scent the person was wearing. Now, usually this wasn't a good thing...haha. But now, it makes me wonder...what scent have I left behind? When I leave the room...what lingers? And to be honest...I don't think it's always been pleasant. There are times when I've been short, mean, rude and quite frankly...bitter and negative. Granted, I don't think (at least I hope not) that it happens a lot...but it's enough. Anyway. 2 Corinthians 2:15-17 says,
"15 For we are to God the fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing. 16 To the one we are the aroma of death leading to death, and to the other the aroma of life leading to life. And who is sufficient for these things? 17 For we are not, as so many, peddling the word of God; but as of sincerity, but as from God, we speak in the sight of God in Christ."
So...the challenge here...is am I helping people or hindering? I'll tell you what. That is a sobering thought...I have a lot of work to do, that's for sure. Anyway. I don't have an answer...as far as what to do to make this right. I just know that there's a lot I need to be doing to start improving. I need to be in the Word more...my prayer life needs to take a SHARP upward turn...and I have GOT to start being more positive to everyone I know. It's so easy to be nice to people I don't know. Ha. But the ones I love...it's so much more difficult sometimes. I don't know what else to say...I've got to get a grip on that though. So, that's all I have. True story.
In other news, I bought the Love Dare from Fireproof tonight. And I'm really excited to read it! And to start putting it into action. We have a wonderful marriage, but I want to become an even better, more godly wife. And I think this is going to be just one more step in helping me succeed.

No comments: