Friday, September 24, 2010

Why do we act the way we do?

The Lord has been working on my heart lately. I feel like I've been hiding in a hole for the past several years of my life when it comes to living on fire for Christ. Sure, I say I want to follow Him...I say that I'd sacrifice anything...But have I been living that out? Not like I should. God is an all consuming fire....I should be living a life that reflects that. But it's so much easier to do what I want to do...and live the way I want to live. So here's the passage that the Lord really laid on my heart this morning (It's a litle lengthy, but worth it):

"What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it? Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection, knowing that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might e done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. For he who has died has been freed from sin. Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more. Death no longer has dominion over Him. For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus, our Lord. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts. And do not present your members as instruments of unrighteousness to sin, but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law, but grace." Romans 6:1-14

The other one is: "Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good. Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love..." Romans 12:9-10

So, let's look at this...First of all, if we have a relationship with Christ, we are dead to sin. Does that mean we continue to behave the way we did before we met Christ? Absolutely not. We should actually be doing the opposite! That means that there are things that we should not be doing or saying or watching....etc. Our language should be different, our attitude should be different, we should behave differently...pretty much everything about us should be different! And then, looking at the next passage...We should abhor what is evil...The Webster definition of abhor is: "to regard with extreme repugnance, to loathe." If something displeases God, we should ABHOR IT. We shouldn't want anything to do with whatever that "thing" is. We should be clinging to what is good...I'm just sayin'. For me, this isn't always easy. There's a lot of things that I want to do because they're fun...or a lot of things I want to watch because they're fun...There are things I want to listen to because it's fun or entertaining. But if these things don't honor God...I need to head the opposite direction! And if I'm not doing that...What does that say about my relationship with Him? Sure doesn't look good...in my opinion at least. Anyway. Those are my thoughts for today. I've got a number of things I need to correct, so I better get going on them.

No comments: